So you take a bunch of guys and girls, put them in a place, ask them to date each other and then ditch ’em. That should make a cracker of a show right! Welcome to MTV India’s Splitsvilla, a show so disgusting and degrading, I’d prefer the contestants have a horrifying death.
I fail to understand the point of such shows. Lets compare a few other “reality” shows
1. MTV Roadies – Its bigger than Splitsvilla, and puts the contestants through various tasks. Of course there is the cliched reality elements in it in the form of voting out contestants, faking injuries, plotting against each other, horrible background music. But in all, definitely miles ahead.
2. Countless talent shows – They ask you to dance, sing, look good, crack jokes all with the masala factor. But then again, talent does count here.
3. V Launchpad – Supposedly the first reality show for aspiring rock bands, but with the X-factor to attract Indian TV watchers. Its good in bits, and some bands are talented. Probably my number 1 reality show, even though I don’t watch it regularly.
Now ladies and gentlemen, please enlighten me about Splitsvilla. What exactly are they trying to accomplish? Is it to:
- Judge which pair looks best
- See how many guys/girls one can dump
- Get cheap publicity ala Bollywood so that they can date more people and then dump them later
- Develop strategic thinking amongst the couples
- Show off their skimpy clothes competing with our Bollywood “Bombshells”
- Get the perfect jodi together, so that they have a “….and they lived happily ever after” ending
Here is the comparison chart:
So if your done pondering, shout your comments, and make them heard at MTV India’s twitter page here
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 2 so far )